YAP Video Audition Requirements & Application
To complete your online or downloaded application to the Young Artist Program at the Southwestern Ontario Suzuki Institute, you also need to send us a DVD of your playing as follows:
1. The recording should be no more than 8 to 10 minutes in duration.
2. Record your piece with the best lighting and sound quality for the best results. Attention should also be made to attire. At SOSI, performance dress for senior students is black top and bottom.
3. Set the camera to show your hand and body positions, using the closest camera distance to also include as much of the entire body as possible.
4. The audition video must be submitted on DVD-R only (no Mini-DV, DV-Cam, VHS, or audio cassette). Make two copies, and make sure both copies play on your DVD player (not just on your computer). Keep one copy, and label the other with your instrument and the title and composer of your audition piece. The submitted DVD will not be returned to you.
5. Your performance by memory should be of a polished piece with which you are comfortable and which demonstrates your ability on your instrument. This does not need to be the piece which you are planning to study at SOSI should you be accepted.
Minimum level for piano: Your piece should be at the RCM Grade 9 level or higher, or Suzuki Volume 6 or higher (excluding the Mozart Sonata K 545).
For violin, your piece should be at the RCM Grade 9 level or higher, or Suzuki Volume 8 or higher.
For cello, your piece should be at the RCM Grade 8 level or higher, or Suzuki Volume 7 or higher.
6. Piano accompaniment is highly recommended for violin and cello auditions, unless the repertoire performed is unaccompanied.
7. Memorization is required for all auditions.
8. Complete all sections of the audition form. The memorized, polished repertoire you would like to work on during your classes at SOSI must be specified and may not be changed after July 1st.
9. Send the audition form with your DVD in a padded envelope to:
Ellen Berry, Director, SOSI
23 Stock Court
Cambridge ON N3C 3R4 CANADA
You might consider sending your package with a trackable form of shipping.
10. The audition package must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2012 – NO EXCEPTIONS.
11. All auditions will be sent to the appropriate master teacher for evaluation. Previous participation in the Young Artist Program does not guarantee selection in a subsequent year. Students not selected for this year’s YAP may participate in our Senior Program. You will be notified as soon as possible of the results.
12. The home teacher of successful applicants will be contacted at the beginning of July to confirm the memorized, polished piece to be studied at SOSI.